The Galloupe House on Hull Street in Boston, around 1898. Photo courtesy of Boston Public Library.
The site in 2014:
Supposedly, this house on Hull Street was General Gage’s headquarters during the Battle of Bunker Hill, fought just across the Charles River from here. The accuracy of that is somewhat questionable, but regardless, this building was very old. It was built around 1724, and was home to a succession of owners, including several members of the Galloupe family, hence the name. It was demolished sometime around 1905-1910, and was replaced with the present-day buildings.