The rear of the Alexander House, taken from Elliot Street near the corner of State Street, around 1938-1939. Photo courtesy of the Springfield Preservation Trust.
The scene in 2014:
The first photo is the side view of the Alexander House, which is mentioned in this post. Although it’s no longer on this location, the house still exists; it was moved just a short distance down Elliot Street when the federal courthouse was constructed. It was actually the second time that the house was moved; its first move came in the 1870s, when it was moved several hundred feet on the same lot because of drainage issues. Today, it sits just a little to the left of where these photos were taken, and it is one of the oldest surviving buildings in Springfield.