Springfield’s Court Square Theater, as it appeared between 1900 and 1910. Image courtesy of the Library of Congress, Detroit Publishing Company Collection.
The building in 2015:
The Court Square Theater was built in 1892, and substantially expanded in 1900. Originally, the building was symmetrical, but the 1900 addition gave the building an extra five rows of windows on the front facade, and also extended the right-hand side of the building all the way back to State Street. A photo on this blog shows a rare glimpse of the building prior to the expansion. The other two buildings visible along Court Square are the the 1835 Byers Block, and the 1889 Chicopee Bank Building. Neither buildings have changed much in appearance since the first photo was taken.
Right now, the Court Square Theater building stands vacant. The theater section itself (not visible) was demolished in 1957, and there have been various proposals for restoring the building, but so far none have begun.