D.B. Wesson’s house on Maple Street, as it appeared between 1900 and 1910. Image courtesy of the Library of Congress, Detroit Publishing Company Collection.
The site today:
The building in the early 20th century was the home of Daniel B. Wesson, a firearm designer who co-founded a company that some readers may have heard of. Mr. Wesson, needless to say, was a wealthy man. Located at 50 Maple Street, at the present-day intersection of Maple and Dwight, it was built in 1898, and was Wesson’s home until he died in 1906. The house was purchased by a social club, the Colony Club, in 1915, and was used until February 20, 1966, when the building burned and was replaced by the bland, nondescript building that now stands on the lot.